How to Choose the Right Fireplace Stone
Choosing the right fireplace stone requires a look at style, cost, labour and maintenance.
If you’re in the planning stages of building a fireplace or making over an existing one, you may feel overwhelmed choosing the right materials. On top of deciding what style suits you and your family best, cost, labour and maintenance make it even more confusing.
Bottom of Form
To help, we’ve broken down the long list of stone fireplace ideas to help you choose the right stone for your home.
Fireplace materials come in all shapes and styles. This one features a combination marble and stone fireplace surround.
5 questions to ask before fireplace installation
Ask and answer these five questions before you head to the hardware store or get out the power tools:
1. How would you describe the fireplace look you want? Sleek? Modern? Rustic? Natural? Edgy? Warm? Cool? Elegant? Cozy?
2. What’s your budget? Different materials vary greatly in price. Consider what you’d like to spend so you have a better idea of your options.
3. How will the work be completed? Will you be doing the work yourself or do you plan to hire a contractor? Some fireplace stones are easier to install than others. And, of course, the more difficult the installation, the higher the cost.
4. How much maintenance are you willing to do? After completing the installation, you’ll still need to consider whether to seal the stone, how difficult it will be to clean later, or if it stains easily.
5. How durable do you need the fireplace to be? Some fireplaces crack or break more easily than others, and you want to make sure the fireplace material you choose stands the test of time. Consider kids and pets when making this decision.
Add your favourite art piece or mount a TV above the fireplace for a simple and clean look.
Options for fireplace materials
After addressing your budget and maintenance capacity, consider these fireplace stone options:
If you are after a more rustic, natural look stone fireplace then Irregular Walling is your best option. Each piece is unique in shape and size and is available in many different stones ranging from granite to limestones to sandstones. Can be laid with or without grout joints and if you incorporate the corner pieces the whole fireplace will look like its been built by solid stone just like the old days.
Beautiful, modern and very effective are some of the terms associated with our colonial walling. Colonial Walling is offered in many stones such as sandstones, limestones and granites. Colonial Walling is also available with matching corner pieces and just like the Irregular Walling, the use of corners will give the product the impression of the fireplace being built from solid blocks.
If your style veers more “rustic cottage,” sandstone might be the perfect option for you. Can be supplied in most formats such as colonial or irregular or rockface for a more traditional look. Sandstone does require regular cleaning and occasional deep cleaning.
Take a look around at inspirations, hone in on your style and decide what works best for your skills and budget. Most importantly, make it an expression of your personality that you will love for years to come.
Better yet, see us in person!
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
NSW : 46 Adderley Street East, Lidcombe, New South Wales 2141, Australia
QLD Factory / Showroom – T4 145 North St, Toowoomba QLD 4350,Australia
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: By appointment